Health and Safety: Everyone Likes To Have Both
Health and Safety Policy
The aim of this policy statement is to ensure that all reasonably practical steps are taken to ensure the health, safety and welfare of all persons using the premises. To achieve these, we will actively work towards the following objectives:
- To establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment throughout the Nursery.
- To establish and maintain safe working procedures amongst staff and children.
- To make arrangements for ensuring safety and the absence of risks to health in connection with the use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances.
- To ensure the provision of sufficient information, instruction and supervision to enable all people working in or using the Nursery to avoid hazards and contribute positively to their own safety and health at work and to ensure that they have access to health and safety training as and when provided.
- To maintain a safe and healthy place of work and safe access and egress from it.
- To formulate effective procedures for use in case of fire and other emergencies and for evacuating the Nursery premises.
- To follow the regulations of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and any other relevant legislation.
- Continuously appraise the effectiveness of the policy and ensure any necessary changes are made.
- Provide adequate staff, funds and material to meet its needs. j Demonstrate personal involvement and support.
Within their own areas of roles & responsibility, i.e. Nursery Manager for the general operation of the nurseries’ activities, building and maintenance. Nursery domestic/cook for catering and cleaning activities including food hygiene and safety, Nursery Practitioners for delivering care and education to children in their care, all are responsible for:
- Adhering to the health and safety policy on a day-to-day basis.
- Ensuring that all employees are competent to carry out their work and are fully aware of any hazards.
- Monitoring health and safety performance on a regular basis.
- Providing adequate information and publicity to support the health and safety programme.
- Ensure safety inspections are carried out on a regular basis.
Ensure that all relevant legal requirements are complied with by implementing arrangements for:
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health
- Consultation with staff
- Safe equipment and machinery-instructions to staff and training
- Disciplinary procedures
- Personal protection equipment
- Safety inspection, monitoring and audit
The manager has special responsibilities for:
- Maintaining safe access and aggress, housekeeping and hygiene and infection control
- Overseeing the reporting of accidents internally and to the Health and Safety Executive
- Medicine and control of clinical waste
- First aid, fire and evacuation procedures
- Manual handling and violence
- Equipment and machinery inspection and maintenance records
- Building maintenance and the actions for repairs and faults revealed
- Electrical safety, gas safety, and hot water safety
Each Manager, Senior Nursery staff, as supervisors or as the nominated Health and Safety Officer, are responsible for:
- Familiarising themselves with the Health and Safety Policy
- Ensuring that persons whom they supervise are adequately trained and aware of any hazards in their own workplace
- Ensuring that all employees they supervise know what to do in the case of an outbreak of fire
- Ensuring that all employees they supervise know the whereabouts of first aid facilities
- Investigating all accidents promptly to discover the cause and eliminate recurrence if within their competence
- Ensuring that all safety rules are observed and that safety equipment is worn or used where appropriate
- Ensuring that all safety devices are always fitted and properly adjusted and maintained
- Ensuring that all defects in workplaces for which they are responsible are promptly reported and rectified
- Maintaining good housekeeping standards
- Considering representation about health and safety from other employees
Individual employees are responsible for:
- Making themselves familiar with and conforming to the health and safety procedure at all times
- Wearing appropriate safety equipment and using appropriate safety devices as necessary
- Conforming to all instructions given by those with responsibility for health and safety
- Reporting all accidents and damage to an appropriate member of staff
If there are any questions regarding this policy or the information contained therein, please feel free to email us.